Memories of the Future

Ever had a Spam Wafful, debated the red herrings with actual herrings, or written the spoken word in sky writing. If so enter and enjoy

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Well I think I've made up my mind to go back to work. I still need to think about it some more and to speak with my advisor about what sort of options I have and to ensure that I will get some sort of degree out of this. I know it may not be the best decision but I've hit the point of total misery here and it dosen't look like this work is going to progress nearly at the rate I was hoping. Heck if I'm starting over from near scratch it could easily be another 3-4 years, whihc would put me getting out by mid 30's and virtually ruin any sort of family plans I was having.
I still need to think the whole thing over more, but until then here is a review of "superman returns".


Superman Returns: Spoilers included!!


This film was decent. I didn't have the same issues with the whole love story aspect of it many of the people I know did. I thought it seemed fairly realistic the way Lois, Superman, and Clark all related to one another.
The biggest problem I had with the film was Lex Luthor's big plan. His overly comical henchmen were of an annoyance at times too. Sure I laughed at them, but shouldn't the big bad guy invoke fear not chuckles from the audience? Also his whole marrying an old widow for her money was a bit hokey.
So on to the big plan.

Lex stole some crystans from superman's fortress of solitude. No problem there.
The crystals seem to have some sort of "magic" property that they grow in water. I'm guessing the writers had a few too many "growing" foam dinasaurs as a kid. Ok its a bit cheezy but I'll bite.
So Lex's big plan is to drop one of these crystals into the atlantic ocean. This will form a new giant crystal continent and there by displace a lot of water and flood most of america. He will then sell the new property and make a fortune, as well as being ruler over his own country.
Huh???
First off the physics behind this are just insane. Crystals don't magically grow.
Second, as soon as these giant crystals started to form and grow, it would displace massive amounts of water and create tidal waves or at the very least flood the coasts.
Third the displacement of water would effect all of the costal land not just easten US.
Fourth, we have a scene where crystals are growing quickly and heading for Metropolis (which for some odd reason is located on the east coast of the US and not in kansas where it should be). If the crystals were moving and growing that quickly it would be pushing a massive amount of water along in front of it, which would have hit the city.

Fifth, I've seperated this one because its very important. A land made up of solid crystal and rock is useless. There is no top soil there, which means no plants, no farming, no grazing land for livestock. So Lex's new great continent has no way to suport itself by way of food. So the land is near useless. Its a stupid plan any moron should see wouldn't work.

Sixth, we're now into superman physics. Kyrptonite drains superman's powers. Just being near the stuff zaps all his superness and generally makes him even weaker that a human. This island is heavily infused with kryptonite. Some how superman is able to pick up the whole thing and fly it into space.
Seventh, even if the island kryptonite didn't effect him, which would be weird because it did just one scene ago, he had a peice of kryptinite imbeded in his back. So he should have been severly weakened if not dying. Yet he is able to pull off a feat simply beyond beleif.

Eight, the whole point to superman is he is nearly unstopable, unless there is kryptonite around. If he can some how just buck up and suffer through the effects of the kryptonite then he is entirly unstopable, so why even make a film or try to beat him. It just makes all his heroics all the less heroic.

Nine, superkid was a load of shit, not a suprise at all.

Overall, it was watchable, but I feel like Brian Singer made a big mistake in doing this film instead of X-men 3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home