Memories of the Future

Ever had a Spam Wafful, debated the red herrings with actual herrings, or written the spoken word in sky writing. If so enter and enjoy

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Finally got a decent night's rest. Went home last night. BZ and I were going to do a bit of a BBQ, but by the time we had rounded up all the stuff dinner wouldn't have been ready until 8ish. Its funny how time flies like that.

So stories from the weekend:
We took off friday around 2 ish and made the 2:30 ferry. After an hour twenty and two games of magic we were on the island. An hour or so of annoying driving and we found our way to stonybrook.
We had dinner at John Harvards, their nut brown ale is really good as is the buffalo chicken sandwich. Got checked into the hotel and rolled into the convention. The weekend started as they often do in the dealer's room. Me and Bz both got a set of metal dice. It seems every year I move up in the die world. My first ICON I got a cup of dice. At my second I got 3 cups. My third got me 2 sets and a picked cup. This year I got a set of small brass. BZ picked a set of large copper. Both are really neat, but we'll have to see how well they roll.
AQfter much time in the dealer's room we hit a few venues. "Science of science fiction, which comes first" and "Mostly harmless tech." The science or scifi one was decent. They had a good pannel of real scientisis and scifi writers and the discussion was lively. The mostly harmless tech had a crappy pannel where the law professor did most of the talking and for the most part just went off on long tangents of annoyances of his with corporations, mostly the recording industry.
That about raped it up for night one. A Quick hop back to the dealer's room left me 160$ poorer but three master maze sets richer. We also got Tony's autograph (I'm sorry I forgot about you Jess, I should have asked who wants something but the week before hand was nuts.)
We also spoke to some writer of E-books for a bit and got two free chapters of two of his books, J you'll have to take a gander at them. They are almost undescribable. Once again I am given hope that some day I could be a writer.

Day two started off slow. Got up late after a night of horrible dreams. I don't remember all of it but it had something to do with fighting zombies. I remember staying behind to hold them off while BZ and the rest of the crew we were with escaped.
Got some breakfast quick and ended up going back to bed, where I had dreams that some demon man was fighting me. There was a lot of bad energy at the hotel. Spent the rest of the day very groggy and mostly out of it.
We finally rolled into the con around 11:30 ish just in time to catch the last half of peter mahew speaking. Man that guy is huge. He had some interesting stories to tell from back in the days of the orgional starwars but his accent was real thick and was kind of hard to uinderstand.
Jewel came on next. She is just as cute and chipper in real life as she is in the show. She gave out a few bits of serenity, but no real spoilers which was good. I'm super psyched to see it now and I have even more respect for Joss Whedon. The man is moving up into the category of Sam Rami for me.
After hearing her speak it was back to the dealer room for a bit and then up to the line for Jewel's autograph. After an excedingly long wait, we both got a personalized signed portrait and a photo of us with her so it was quite worth it.
Then it was back to the auditorium to see Rockne O'bannon, farscape creator, speak. He was good and I hadn't realized how much work he had done before farscape. Apparently Brian Henson is trying to rally people for a FS film which would be awesome. We skiped out of the end of his talk to get a seat for "Snakes inside me" which was sort of a round table discussion with Tony, Cruz, and some other guy. All three were hilarious and had a lot of good stories about their characters and acting in general.

Off to do some work will be back later with the rest of the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home