Memories of the Future

Ever had a Spam Wafful, debated the red herrings with actual herrings, or written the spoken word in sky writing. If so enter and enjoy

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What a wacky day.
I woke up to rain. I get in my car and drive in and hit sleet baout a 1/3 of the way up 9, which turned to snow around middle town. Its kind of funny that its always at middle town that the weather totally changes. I must have passed 7 accidents of people skidding off the road. Twits all of them.

Last night I watched most of Narnia (the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe). It wasn't nearly as bad as I had been lead to beleive, in fact what I did watch I feel like was pretty true to the book. They did fluff up some of the scenes for some good cinimatography, but it didn't really detract from the story.
I must say though that I noticed a lot of the christian themes more in the film than I did reading the book. Maybe its just that I had imagined everything differently. Or it could be that some dialogue was changed or something. Stuff like when the professeur pulls out the "Liar, Crazy, or True" apologist argument for the truthfullness of jesus to argue with Peter wether his sister is lying, crazy, or teling the truth about something fantastical. Its just interesting over all. They never really come out and give you the slap in the face of Jesus loves you, you must beleive or burn in hell most propoganda does, but everything is cleaverly hidden behind motives of brain washing.
Stuff like Susan, the older girl and the "intelegant" one of the bunch always seems cold and her logic is just about always wrong. They tell her to beleive, or trust and not think about things.
There are similear motifs through out the film, of trusting and beleiving in Aslan.

Those right wingers who boycotted this film or brought out their hate groups to protest it really are idiots. This film is indoctrunation, pure and simple. Show it to kids. Begin to warp their thinking. Then when they are older but used to all of the motifs, remove the fun fairy tale aspect and replace it with an ever crockier fary tale.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware right wing groups were protesting the film. (I must have missed my copy of that memo) Most of the right wing people I know were very happy that not only was a "family friendly" movie being made, but that it was one with Christian overtones.

I think you're reading too much into the "Lying, Crazy, True" argument presented to Lucy. Although obviously, Lewis was speaking to Christianity, my take is that it is more about showing that it's okay to/you need to have faith. Just because a thing can't be proven to be true doesn't mean it's not. It doesn't mean it is either though. Faith is simply believing something regardless of proof.

For example, a good friend of mine has told me he's now agnostic. He says he can't buy into a supreme being/creator being responsible for anything, if even just inspiration. His faith is in science. While science can't explain everything, his faith tells him that perhaps one day it will.

It's kind of like in Serenity when Sheperd Brook tells Mal "I don't care what you believe, just that you do believe"

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home