Memories of the Future

Ever had a Spam Wafful, debated the red herrings with actual herrings, or written the spoken word in sky writing. If so enter and enjoy

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Gen Con Day 5,
Woke up rip and ready to go. Got all packed up, grabbed a breakfast burrito from the mexi place on the corner and whipped on down to the con. Today was to start off exciting because I had a ticket for a free game for the first 5 people to bring said ticket to the gametec stand. K-biz showed up just in time to man the booth for a bit while ran off to get my game. I got there second. The dealer running the stand takes a look at me and the other guy and goes, “the deal is only good to players, no vendors.” F-ing A. I crumpled up my ticket and made a solemn vow never to buy anything from that vendor ever. From there I circled around and got into the roll for free swag at the wizards booth. I had a +8 to my roll from doing almost all of the wizard’s demos. The dice falls and comes up 17, which means I had my pick of anything up there and what do you know, after 2 full days of running this they are out of hard cover manuals and just about anything else good so I grab a packet of dungon tiles.
I get back to the booth and K-biz is ready to take off for a bit. I take a breath and I’m ready to pitch. Right away three guys come up. I start my speal,
Me:Are you guys gamers?
Them: yes, we were here yesterday. Do you guys take returns?
Me (puzzled): I guess, is something wrong with it?
Them: no, it just seems frivolous. I don’t need one board let alone two.
I give them back their money. Ass wipes, like anything else you buy at this con isn’t going to be frivolous.

So right off my day is in the crapper. I start to get down, but am able to rally as more customers come forward. Quick fast forward through this day as I don’t really leave the booth at all the entire day. As the day reaches 5:20 (40 min till the dealer’s room closes) I’m out of ready to go boards. I’ve sold 36 over the course of the day. It’s a damn good thing I brought extra boards and didn’t listen to K-biz’s incredible business sense. Though if I did I would have had all of Sunday to play games and screw around.

I get two more customers come by looking to buy after we had run out and I have to ask them to come back the next morning.

It turns out K-biz didn’t have any of the stuff he thought he did, no extra magnets, no pens, no boards, so we have to run out and shop around for pens and bags. We get back to the hotel, order a pizza, and cut magnets until about 12pm. Then we go upstairs and the only bags we were able to buy were these cheap fruit bags. So we stay up until 2am using an iron to heat seal the bags so they don’t look like total crap.

By night’s end we have about 40 units ready to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home