Memories of the Future

Ever had a Spam Wafful, debated the red herrings with actual herrings, or written the spoken word in sky writing. If so enter and enjoy

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

GenCon, Day 1,
So far off to a god start. I got to the train station at 7:30, in plenty of time to catch the 8pm metro north. While I’m there I notice these two girls buying tickets and think one of them looks familiar. She gets closer and I realize its Lindsey, a friend from UCONN, but who left at the end of last semester to try to get a job in NYC. I wave her over and we say some hi’s. Her friend joins us. This is a friend who I have been told for months how hot/good looking she is. In reality, she’s not that impressive.
So Lindsey runs off to get a sandwich. The friend sits down at a bench opposite to me. We chat for a bit. Lindsey comes back and sits on the other side of the friend, about as far away from me as she can get. Now this is odd. We were, I thought, pretty good friends. We hung out every day, did lunch, all that. She doesn’t say more than a word to me the rest of the time we’re waiting for the train. Train comes, and we leave to board. I’m carrying all my gear and not moving too quickly. No offer of help and the two of them are off like a shot, down the tunnel to the train and vanished by the time I reach the platform. Just very odd over all. I’m guessing “the church” got to her. It’s sad.
Train is long and dull, but I reach Grand central at about 10. Kyle meets me at the terminal. We load up and we’re on the road.
We bust-a-move through NY, NJ. Traffic is heavy at many points due to road construction, but we’re still making good time. Its about 1AM and we switch off. I kick ass through a good chunk of Penn, then hit some more construction. I don’t know what it is with road work in the middle of the night, but apparently that’s the time to do it. Finally I break out of it and get going.
Then I hear it, thump, thump, thump. The car turns slowly as if in water. I pull over. Its now about 2:30. We get out of the car. Its near pitch black.
Me: you got a flashlight in this thing?
K-Biz: no
Me: Crap
So we stare at the tire for a while and in bits of moon light and interior car light we can tell. We’ve got a flat. First things first, change the tire. All we’ve got is a bitch ass Donut and a piss poor jack and as this is still all in the dark we can’t tell a damn thing about it. While looking for the owner’s manual (because K-biz don’t do nuthin not by the book) I find a lighter in the glove compartment. So I end up flicking the lighter on and providing the torch light for him to work by. Spare on, we’re back in business. Now to get a new tire or a patch.

Being this is bunfuck Pennsylvania, nothing is open. Well not quite nothing. A service guy stops (after we’ve put on the spare) and gives us some options. Drive up 1 exit, the off the highway and out into the middle of nowhere to some garage, which opens at 6am. Keep going on the highway to a service station, which does tires. Or push on about 2 exits up to a 24hr service station.
We hit the highway service station first. It looks closed. We go in.
US “Hi, what time does the service station open?”
Waitress, “Its open now.”
US “Ok, we have a flat and ..”
Waitress, “Oh they don’t do that here, you’ll have to go 40 some odd miles up the highway to the al night place.”
FUCK!!
So we pile back in and slowly put put along on the donut, 40 miles at under 50mph, double ugh.
Its now 4am and I’ve been up for 24 hours. We hit the 24hr station. It takes a while to find the guy as he’s in the back playing with some automated garbage machine. He comes around front and takes a long look at the car.
24hr Mac “Them’s 17inch tires you got on that thing. We don’t carry them fancy things. You’ll have to go down to Roy’s Tires, about 7 miles that way”

We slowly put put down to roy’s tires. They open at 8am. K-biz pulls us into the lot and we crash for some restless Z’s.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

OMFG!!!!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home